离线moliao99

发帖
啄木币
鲜花
只看楼主 倒序阅读 使用道具 0楼 发表于: 2010-04-17
— 本帖被 欣宇 从 【口腔医学】 移动到本区(2015-08-28) —
Colloquial English in Prosthetic Dentistry
Part 1         Fixed bridge
Doctor: Good morning, it’s nice to see you again, Mrs. Walsh.

Patient: Hello, Doctor. That extraction has healed very well. I had no trouble with it.

Doctor: Good. You should have a bridge to replace that missing tooth.

Patient: Do you think that it’s absolutely necessary?

Doctor: Yes, I do. If a bridge isn’t made, the two teeth next to the space may move and tip over (tilt). If they’re not help in a normal position they may be lost prematurely.

Patient: How can teeth be lost because they move?

Doctor: The teeth that have moved may be lost because of abnormal biting pressures. They may destroy both the tissues that surround the tooth securely. The upper tooth that was biting against the missing lower tooth will drop downward., because there’s nothing below it to hold it in place. As a result, you might lose the upper tooth..

Patient: I see. How do you make a bridge?

Doctor: I’ll make two gold crowns on the two teeth on either side of the empty space. Then, a pontic will be connected to the crowns.

Patient: Ireally don’t want to have gold teeth.

Doctor: Don’t worry. There will be tooth-colored porcelain covering the surface of the bridge. This will make it look natural.

Patient: What do you do to prepare the teeth for the crowns?

Doctor: When I prepare the teeth for the crowns, they look like this model. The next step is to make an impression of your teeth. A model like this one is made from the impression with plaster. The plaster model is used to make the bridge in my dental laboratory. It will take one week for the laboratory technician to make the bridge.

PatientWhat do I use in the meantime, Doctor?

Doctor: You’ll waer a temporary plastic bridge to protect your teeth during that time. If there are no delays it will take three appointments to finish your case.

Patient: What type of bridge is this called? Will I be able to take it out of my mouth?

Doctor: This will be a fixed (non-removable) bridge. A removable bridge (partial denture) is best in some cases, particularly if there are a lot of teeth missing. A removable bridge is less expensive. It doesn’t need as much tooth reduction, because crowns aren’t always needed on the teeth that the bridge is attached to. Also a partial denture is easier to clean, because it canbe taken out of mouth during cleaning.

Patient: Which type is usually better?

Doctor: The non-removable bridge is usually better, because it’s firmly attached to the teeth. It helps to prevent the teeth from loosening. It’s more comfortable to wear and chewing bacomes easier.

Patient: Thank you for explaining this to me. I’ll phone you for appointment, when I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to be busy next month. I don’t want to make an appointment that I can’t keep. I’m sorry that I had to cancel my last appointment.

Doctor: A broken appointment or a cancelled appointment, I’d appreciate if you would phone me at least 24 hours in advance.

Useful Sentences
1、        You should have a bridge to replace that missing tooth.

2、        The two teeth next to the space will move gradually.

3、        The upper tooth will drop down, because there’s nothing below to hold it in place.

4、        Tooth-colored porcelain will cover the metal crowns.

5、        The bridge will look like your natural teeth.

6、        A bridge is made in the dental laboratory on plaster models.

7、        You’ll wear a temporary plastic bridge while your parmanent bridge is being made.

8、        It’s more comfortable and chewing is easier.

9、        It will prevent the teeth from loosening.

10、   Please call me at least 24 hours in advance, if you have to reschedule your appointment.

Part 2  . Dentures
Doctor:  I’ve reviewed your X-rays and I’m sorry to say that the rest of your upper teeth will have to be remived. They’ve in hopeless condition. You need a full upper denture.

Patient:  oh no! Can’t anything be done?

Doctor:  I’m sorry, look at your X-rays. Can you see the large cavities here and here? Do you see this gray area around the root of this tooth? It’s obviously infected. Look at these teeth here. Can you see how little of the bone is left? That’s why most of yoour teeth are loose. They’ll have to be extracted.

Patient: but how long would I have to be without my teeth? I’ll look terrible.

Doctor: I can lessen (minimize) your inconvenience by making you an immediate denture. With this method, the posterior teeth are extracted first. The gums must heal for at least one mouth before the denture is begun. You’ll keep your anterior teeth until the denture is made. The new denture will be inserted on the day that the front teeth are extracted. You won’t ever be without your front teeth.

Patient: How long will it take? How many appointments will be needed?

Doctor: I can begin to make your new teeth after the gums have heals from the extraction of the back teeth. That will take at least one month. After that, it will take two weeks to make the denture.

Patient: What will you do on the first appointment?

Doctor: On the first appointment, I’ll make plaster models of your jaws. My dental laboratory technician will help me to make your denture on the models. On the second visit, I’ll make a record of your “bite” (jaw relations) using wax forms like this one. I’ll place your new teeth in the wax form to be sure that they fit with your lower teeth. On the third visit, I’ll extract the remaining tooth and insert the denture.

Patient:  And then the treatment is finished?

Doctor: After that, I have to see you for minor adjustments to insure a good fit and eliminate sore spots. A bout six months after the denture is inserted, I’ll have to reline or remake it, because the gums will shrink and the denture will become loose.

Patient: I think that this will be very expensive. How would you like me to pay my bill? May I pay my bill over a period of time?

Doctor: Yes. I’d like you to pay one half of the fee at the beginning of the treatment and the remainder of the fee on the day that the denture is inserted.

Patient I understand. However, I just feel worried about wearing a denture.

Doctor: Don’t worry. I know that you’re disappointed and apprehensive. I’ll make your new teeth fit as well as possible. You’ll get used to them in a very short time. I’ll select your new teeth very carefully.

Patient: What about the color? Will it look natural?

Doctor: That shape, size, and color will be ideal for you. They’ll be arranged to look like natural teeth. Your denture will not look artificial. It will be made to support your cheeks and lips, so that you can keep the natural shape of your face.

Useful Sentences
1、        How much will it cost?

2、        It’s very expensive.

3、        High quality dentistry is an investment in your future, health and happiness.

4、        Let me give you a receipt.

5、        I’ll send you a bill.

6、        The denture fits perfectly.

7、        The denture doesn’t fit, it’s loose, look at the roof of your mouth. Do you see how red and inflamed it is?

8、        It can be repaired.

9、        I can make an immediate denture.

10、   The denture can be inserted on the same day that the teeth are extracted.

11、   You may need adjustments to insure a good fit and to eliminate sore spots.

12、   You’ll get accustomed to them in a short time.

13、   The gums will shrink in about six months.

14、   I’ll wait for the gums to heal before I make the impressions.

15、   It’s better to make a new denture than it is to reline the old one.

Part 3  New  Dentures
Doctor: I know that you’ll be happy with your new dentures. They look very natural. Your facial expression may be a little different for a couple of weeks. After they’re worn foe a while the muscles of the lips and cheeks will become adjusted, and a natrual facial expression will return.

Patient: They look good, Doctor, but I’m worried about talking and eating.

Doctor: You can accustom yourself to speaking with by reading aloud when you’re at home alone. Speak slowly and pronounce each word very carefully. Eat soft foods until the tender gums heal.

Patient: Should I take any special care when eating food?

Doctor: When you bite a piece of food, press the food against the upper teeth. At the same time, break the food off with a twisting motion of the hand. Thia will hold the dentures in place. Take small bites of food and chew slowly and thoroughly.

Patient: Should I wear the denture all of the time?

Doctor: At first wear the denture at all times, except when you clean them. Wearing them all the time helps to shorten the adjustment period. If they become too uncomfortable, please phone me for an adjustment appointment.

Patient: Are there other adjustments I may need?

Doctor: Artificial dentures must be kept clean to keep their beauty and to preserve the health of your mouth.

Patient: How should I clean them?

Doctor: A denture brush with a denture cleanser is the best way. A denture brush has bristles that are stiffer  than those in an ordinary toothbrush.

Patient: Is ordinary soap alright to use when cleaning the denture?

Doctor: Ordinary soap can also be used to brush them clean. Clean them once a day. If you’re not wearing your denture , be used to keep them in a cup of water, so they won’t become too dry. If they’re dry for a long time they may bend and lose their good fit. You must remember.

Doctor: yes. You must remember that your mouth tissues are always changing. This change might cause a loosening of your denture. It may be necessary to rebuild or re-base your dentures. It’s impossible to determine (predict) how soon or how often the rebuilding will have to be done. Each patient is different. Corrections and adjustments can be made. Loose, ill-fitting, or improperly cared for (unclean) dentures can cause severe damage to mouth tissues.

Patient: I’m pleased with my denture, Doctor. Thank you very much. See you later.

Useful Sentences
1、        They look like your natural teeth.

2、        Eat soft foods until the tender gums heal.

3、        Take small bites of food and chew slowly and thoroughly.

4、        Artificial dentures must be kept clean to keep their beauty and to preserve the health of your mouth.

5、        Adenture brush with a denture cleanser is the beat way. A denture brush has bristles that are stiffer than those in an ordinary tooth-brush.

6、        You must remember that the mouth tissues (gum) are always changing.

7、        Everyone who wears dentures should go to the dentist for regular checkups so that necessary corrections and adjustments can be made.

8、        Loose, ill-fitting, or improperly cared for dentures can cause severe damage to the mouth tissuses.

1条评分
死鱼 鲜花 +1 - 2010-04-22
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水
离线死鱼

发帖