离线mumu

发帖
啄木币
鲜花
只看楼主 倒序阅读 使用道具 0楼 发表于: 2007-11-04

幽默解毒尴尬(中)
时间: 2007年03月09日 10:41    作者:艾临    来源:新东方专稿

Fine  Hair  On  My  Body ( 汗毛)
When  I  sat  in  a  rocking-chair  enjoying  the  cool  in  summer , three-year-old daughter  felt  softly  my  fine  hair  on  my  shank (小腿), asked  in  a  puzzle: " Papa, why do you have so many hairs?" I said: " It is called fine hair on human body, sweat will sweat from here during hot days." Then  she  looked  at  my  knee  and  palm, asked  again: " Why  is  there not any hair here?" I was little of a biologist (此为用不定量词表示的程度句) and  couldn' t explain the phenomenon whatsoever, asked her in reply: " If there were hairs everywhere,  I  would be a monkey."
Look, it' s so simple to deal with a kid.

夏天,我坐在摇椅上乘凉,三岁的小宝贝儿轻轻地摸弄着我小腿上的汗毛,不解地问:“爸爸,为什么有这么多毛毛呀?”我说:“这是汗毛,天热时汗就会从这出来。”她看了看膝盖和手掌,又问:“ 那为什么这儿却没有呢?”我又不是生物学家,哪懂得那么多,反问道:“要是到处都是毛毛,那不成猴猴啦?”
你看,对付孩子就这么简单。
Fill  in Blanks  According  to  Original Text  (按原文填空)
Once my little daughter did not score higher on Chinese test, so I criticized her and took myself as an example, saying:" My scores of Chinese had  never been below 98.”She argued to say:" Your topic was simple at that time." I objected:" It is not necessarily the case(半否定句,情况未必如此). I learned the Chinese character ‘彪’in the first month of primary school, but you can’t read it even in grade two."" Still, you may not complete my questions now?"" Darling, do not forget, daddy is a university teacher." My daughter said archly(狡黠的,调皮的):" All right, please do Question 3 first——‘Fill  in Blanks  According  to  Original Text'."
一次,小女儿语文没考好,我批评了她几句,拿自己的当年做榜样,说:“我语文没下过98分。”她争辩说:“你们那时候题目简单。”我说:“话不能这么讲。我上学的第一个月就学会了林彪的‘彪’字,你都小学二年级了,还不认识这个字。”“那你现在还不一定会做我们的题呢?”“乖乖,别忘了,爸爸是大学老师。”小女儿狡猾地说:“好吧,先做第三题——‘按原文填空’。”
God  Knows  (天知道)
A mountain villager in India were struck  to  death by  thunderbolt, which cause numerous  and  confused comments  among villagers , saying that the guy  who had perpetrated (犯罪,做错事) outrages(暴行,激起民愤的事件) should be  struck  by  lightening  earlier. However, another villager  who  was  regarded  as a generally accepted good man in whole village was struck by lightning to death  before  long (不久以后。注:long before为在……以前很久), then all  villagers were  at  a  loss for  words .At this time a  gifted  scholar of  the  village came out boldly  to say:" Though  he  looks  as  if  butter  would  not  melt  in  his  mouth  (看来一本正经,装得老老实实)in  normal  times, we do not know  the  dinkum  oil(真相), but  God  knows after all."
  印度一山村的一个男人被雷击而死,村民们议论纷纷,说这家伙为非作歹,早该叫雷劈了。没过多久,又一个村民遭到雷击身亡,他却是全村公认的好人,大家都不吱声了。这时,村子里的一个才子站出来说:“尽管平常装得道貌岸然,他到底是什么样的玩意儿,我们不知道,天知道。”
Goethe  Gives  Way (歌德让路)
German poet  Johann  Wolfgang  von  Goethe  met  with a personal foe(敌人,用于正式文体)face  to  face in a narrow path. That person pulled  a long face to say:" I  never have the habit of  making  a way  for  a stupid pig."
Goethe  said , dodging (闪开,躲避) swiftly  to  one  side:" I have!"

德国诗人歌德和一个仇人狭路相逢,那人板着脸说:“我从来没有给蠢猪让路的习惯。”
歌德把身子一闪,说:“我有!” 
Going  Well  With  Each  Other (般配)
The wife is flustered(使慌张) and exasperated(惹恼,触怒), snarling(咆哮,厉声叫喊)  to  his husband: “It will  be  even better to  get married to dog  than  to get married to you!" " Attention! The close relatives  are  banned (明令禁止) to get married." The husband still does not feel it  vents(孔,发泄) his  hatred  enough  adding:" You are  really  too stubborn, seem not far from the Kiang." Seeing her  turn  comes, the  wife  has  a  swift response  by  vindictive(报复的,恶意的,惩罚性的)  estimation:" Just  one  step ."

妻子气急败坏,冲着丈夫咆哮:“嫁给狗也比嫁给你强!” “注意!近亲不能结婚。” 丈夫似乎还不解恨,又加一句:“你就是太犟,好象离野驴不远了。”一见机会来了,妻子目测了一下距离,打了个短评快:“一步之遥。”
Hint  (暗示)
A  girl  had  a  date  with a young man again after the night  fell. The  girl  was  exceedingly contented  to  the  youngster, asked  him  exploratively(试探,探索) :" It is said the man two arms’ length right  equals  to the waistline(腰围)  of  his  beloved  girl . Do  you  believe  it ?"

一个姑娘和一个小伙子再次相约黄昏后,姑娘对小伙子十二分的满意,试探着问他:“据说男人两臂的长度正好和他心爱的女孩子的腰围相等,这个你信吗?”
Hurricane  (飓风)
The Geography teacher is prelecting(在大学里讲课) :" Speak from the macroscopic(宏观), the geography of the  United States  is similar  to that of China. E.g., during summer, hurricane often attacks  the southeast  coast  of the United States, but  typhoon often  blows into  the  southeast  coast  of  PRC. The destructiveness(破坏性)  of hurricane blowing from Caribbean  to  the United States is  bigger  than that  of  typhoon  from the Taiwan Straits(复数形式表示单数含义,尤用于专有名词)  to Chinese  mainland."" Why?" A  question  arises suddenly. The teacher says intentionally: "USA  belongs  to  the  sole superpower, so  the speed  of hurricane  is  supposed  to  be  faster  than  that  of  typhoon . Otherwise , the  American  people  will  encounter  mental unbalance."

地理老师在讲课:“从宏观上讲,美国地理和中国有相似的地方。如在夏季,美国的东南沿海常刮飓风,而中国的东南沿海常刮台风。从加勒比海吹向美国的飓风比从台湾海峡吹向中国的台风破坏性还要大。”“为什么?”突然有人问。老师故意说:“人家是唯一的超级大国,飓风的速度应自然要比台风大些。否则,他们的心理就会不平衡了。”
Hat and Head  (帽子与头)
Hans  Christian Andersen , Danish nursery tale writer,  was  born  in  a  humble family. He  often  wore  a  torn hat  even  in  the winter . A  play  boy  looked down upon (看不起)him  and said:" What  the  shabby(破旧的,寒酸的)  thing  on your head? Is  that still called  a  hat?" Not  to  be  outdone(胜过,制服), Andersen countered (对抗) that  chap  in  reply:" What  the  shabby  thing  beneath your hat? Is  that still called  a  head?"

丹麦的童话作家安徒生出身寒门,冬天常戴着一顶破帽子。有个花花公子瞧不起他,说:“你头上戴的那破玩意儿是什么?那还叫帽子吗?”安徒生毫不示弱,反问道:“你帽子下面的那破玩意儿是什么?那还叫头吗?”
Helping  Meet  An  Urgent  Need  (救驾)
Zhuge-jin ( Zhuge-liang’s elder brother ) with a long  face, offered  his  service for  East  Wu. To play joke on him,  someone led a donkey into  the  Palace, what’s  more, on  whose head hanged a note , it read: Zhuge-jin. It invited the emperor and ministers  to  rock (摇,摆动) with  laughter. On seeing it, Zhuge-ke, the son of Zhuge-jin, added  the" ’s donkey"  with  a writing-brush  on  the keen  jump(立即). The emperor appreciated  him greatly  and bestowed (赠与,花费,留宿)the donkey to him then.

诸葛瑾(诸葛亮的哥哥)供职于东吴,脸型较长。有人想捉弄他,把一头驴弄进宫中,还在驴头上挂了个纸条,上书:诸葛瑾。惹得皇帝和大臣们笑得前仰后合。诸葛瑾的儿子诸葛恪见状,提笔补上“之驴”二字。皇帝十分欣赏,便将驴赐给了他。
He  Didn’t  Hold  Out  Enough    ( 坚持不够)
The  oldest  inhabitant ( 常住居民)  had  celebrated  his  hundredth  birthday  and  the  reporter  of  a  local  paper  called  on  him  for  an  interview.
The  reporter  inquired: “ To  what  do  you  attribute (attribute┅ to :把┅┅ 归因于) your  longevity(长寿)?” The  centenarian ( 百岁老人) said: “ All  in  all(总而言之),  the  three-five-seven  method.” “What  is  the  three-five-seven  method?” The  old  man  ticked  off  the  items  on  his  fingers: “ Here  3  refers  to  3-kilometer  walking; 5  needs  you to walk  at  least    for  5  times  a  week ; 7  means  exercising (mean  doing  sth: 意味着,就是; mean  to do  sth: 打算,有┅┅意图)  up  to  the  extent  that your  age  plus  your pulses  equals  to 170.” “ But,’ protested  the  reporter,” I  had  an  uncle  who  acted  in  that  way,  yet  he  only  lived  to  be  55.  How  do  you  account  for  that?”
“ He  didn’t  keep  it  up  long  enough,”  the  old  man  said  full  of  wit (风趣地).
本地最年长的人庆祝他的百岁生日,当地报社的记者采访了他。
记者问:“您长寿的秘诀是什么?”百岁老人说:“一句话,‘三五七’法。”“什么是‘三五七’法?”“老人扳着手指说,这里‘三’指散步三公里,‘五’要你每周至少五次,‘七’指锻炼到年龄加脉搏达到一百七十。”“不过,”记者仍有疑问:“我有个叔叔就是按这个法做的,可他只活到五十五岁,你怎么解释呢?”
“他坚持的不够长。”老人风趣地说。
In  The  Third  Place  (第三名)
When Chaplin made  a  tour  to  Europe, the local people were  holding  a  big  competition in imitating Chaplin. Chaplin registered his  name  for participating  in  it  with  great interest. Contrary  to  his  expectation, Chaplin had  just  come  out (开花,显影,取得名次)  the second place. As  the sponsor  unit invited Chaplin  to made a speech  at  the  prize –giving  ceremony , he said:“ There is only one Chaplin  in the world, that is  me. To  my embarrassment, I    must abide by (遵从) the  verdict (裁断)of  the  arbitrator. Since  I’m  the  second  place,  you’d better ask the  first Chaplin  to speak."
卓别林在欧洲旅游时,当地人正举行卓别林模仿秀大赛,卓别林也饶有兴趣地报名参加了。出人意外的是,卓别林只得第二名。发奖时,发起单位请真卓别林讲话。卓别林说:“世界上只有一个卓别林,那就是我。为难的是,应该尊重评委的裁定,我既被评为第二名,还是请第一卓别林讲话吧。”
迷你小贴士——词义辨析
arbiter:没有官方委任,靠威望、身份的仲裁者,裁判员。书面语。
arbitrator:可以与arbiter换用,更常用。
umpire:主要指运动方面的裁判员,可指军事演习的裁判官。
referee:主要指农业劳资双方纠纷的仲裁人,足球、拳击等体育方面的裁判员。
judge:法官,仲裁人。常用词。
In Your  Position  Now (在你现在的位置上)
    Khrushchev  launched  an  all-out (全力的,没有保留的)  attack  against Stalin  under  the  excuse  of opposing(反对,反抗) personality  cult(个人崇拜)  at  a  closed-door  session,  which  caused  some representatives(代表) to protest. Someone  passed on a  note  with  a  question  on  it: When Stalin made these mistakes,  as  a member of the central committee, wherever are you  at that  very  time?”
  Khrushchev rant out(咆哮,怒吼):" Just  in your  position now."

赫鲁晓夫在一次秘密会议上,借口反对个人崇拜,对斯大林大肆攻击。这引起了一些代表的不满,有人传过来一张小条,上面写:斯大林犯这些错误时,作为中央委员,你当时在哪里?
  赫鲁晓夫咆哮道:“就在你现在的位置上。
I  Was  Afraid  to  Frighten  You (我怕吓着你)
An ex-service (退役的) old  guerrilla narrated  his combat career  in  the  past  to his little grandson:" I once carried out the mission alone  and  encountered  an  enemy company. By  means  of    making  a  feint (佯攻,虚晃) to  the  east  and  attacking  in  the  west, I  annihilated (歼灭,完全消灭) all the enemy  troops. " His little grandson asked:" I remembered  being  once  told  a  squad (班,小队) before, how can it  be  changed  into  a  company  now ?" The grandpa  took  offense  at  it,  saying :" You  were  too  young  at that time,  so I feared to frighten you."

一个退役的老游击队员给小孙子讲述他当年的战斗经历:“有一次我单独执行任务,遇到敌人一个连。我声东击西,把敌人全部消灭了。” 小孙子问:“记得以前您说是一个班,怎么现在成一个连了?”爷爷没好气地说:“当时你还小,我怕吓着你。”
Knotty  Problem (棘手的问题)
Her 5 children all came to congratulate Grandmother’s birthday. The little grandson asked :" Maternal grandma, are  you  sure younger aunt, uncle  and mother are all your children?"" Positively(美国口语:当然,正是).” Grandmother said proudly.” So are they not crowded in your belly(腹部) ?"Grandmother diverged(分叉,偏离)  to  another  topic  seasonedly(老练地), saying  in  retrospect(回顾,追忆) : “ At that time I had  to  take  great  pains  to  bring  up 5 children, living the difficult  life  as  a  matter  of  fact(事实上,实际) ?" The small grandson asked  continuously:" Why did not  you  bear  less?"Grandmother spread  out  her hands saying: "In  the  eyes  of  you,  wherever  should  I  stop  as  far  as  I ’m  concerned(对我来说) ?"   

外婆生日那天,她的5个儿女都来祝贺。小外孙问了一句:“姥姥,你肯定小姨、舅舅和妈妈他们都是你的孩子吗?”“当然。”外婆自豪地说。“当时他们在你肚子里不挤得慌吗?”外婆老练地岔开小外孙的话,追忆说:“当时生活困难,还要拉扯5个孩子,日子不好过啊。” 小外孙问个没完:“难道您不会少生一个吗?”外婆双手一摊说:“那你说我应该从哪打住好呢?”
Keep  Heads  From  Faint  (头不昏)
A  reporter interviewed an Argentine  minister of  a  tiler  origin:" Sir. please  let  me  ask you what  the  similarities(相似之处) are  between  a  minister and a  tiler ?"
The minister answered  with  a smile:" Both  are  in  a  lofty(极高的,崇高的)  place  but  keep  heads    from  faint."

记者采访阿根廷一个泥瓦匠出身的部长:“请问,阁下,部长和泥瓦匠之间有什么相似之处?”
    部长笑答:“两者都是身在高处而头不昏。”

Logic    ( 逻辑)
A  woman  writer  and  his  husband  vacationed  beside  a  lake in  the  north..  In  the  west of  lake was  a  zone  prohibiting  on  fishing  while  in  the  east  was  for  fishing. The  woman  writer  who prepared to send  her  husband  a  fishing rod rowed  into  the forbidden  area  due  to  the  heavy  fog. An administrator  cropped  up (突然出现): “  Good  morning. Please  come  over  here  and  handed  in  30 pounds  fine.” “ But  I  didn’t  fish.” “ You  have  a  knit  of  fishing  tackle (用具,装备).”
The  woman  became  indignant: “ In  that  case,  I’ll  accuse  you  of  rape (强奸).”
“ Conduct  yourself  with  dignity,  young  lady. I don’t touch  you  whatsoever.”
“Still,  you  have  a  knit  of  installation(装置,设施)  for  rape.”  The  woman  did not  let  him  off  easily.
一个女作家和丈夫在北方的一个湖边度假。湖东边可以钓鱼,湖西则是禁钓区,因湖面雾大,给丈夫送鱼竿的女作家划入了禁钓区。管理人员突然出现:“早上好!请跟我过来一下,交上罚款30英镑。”“可我没钓鱼啊?”“你明明带着一整套鱼具。”
女作家急了:“那样的话,我告你强奸。”
“自重些,女士!我可没动你一指头。”
“没错,可你拥有全套的设备。”女的不依不饶。
  Look  at  His… (看看人家的……)
The military authority of the United States provides: The military personnel in active service(现役军人)  are  not  allowed  to  wear long hair. But as a  commander in  chief of  NATO(北约),  General  Hag  was an exception alone. A soldier clipped (用剪刀剪,别针)out  his head  portrait (肖像)from the pictorial (画报)magazine  and  pasted  it on his  company commander office, with  writing: Look  at  his Long  Hair !The  next  day he found the company commander ’sprompt(提示,提白)beside  it:“ Look  at  his  Rank(军阶,等级)!”
美国军方规定:现役军人不得蓄长发。而身为北大西洋公约总司令的黑格将军却置身法外。一个士兵把黑格的头像从画报上剪了下来,贴到了连长办公室的门口,写道:“看看人家的长发!”第二天,他发现连长的续了一句提示:“看看人家的官衔!”
Making  Up  Blemish  (弥补缺陷)
In  a big  name's party,  taking  advantage  of sottishness(醉醺醺) , a traveler  tipsily (醉酒地,摇摇晃晃地) came to the  famous  poet  Heine,  saying  with profanation(不敬的语言):" Sir  Heine, I discovered  an islet  neither  donkey nor  Jew  on  it" Heine of the Jew  origin  said with  a  smile:" As  it  is,  traveler,  let’s  say  both you and  I  go  there  together,  the  deficiency (缺陷) just  would  be  corrected.."

在一次名人聚会上,一个旅行家借着酒意,摇摇晃晃地来到大诗人海涅面前,挑衅说:“海涅先生,我发现一个小岛,上面就是没有驴子和犹太人 。”犹太人出身的海涅笑着说:“那样的话,大旅行家,如果你和我一块去,就恰好弥补这个缺陷。” (编辑:赵露)
(本文作者艾临,英语副教授。出版著作《每天幽它一默》、《七彩幽默背单词》,在《中国成人教育》、《山东外语教学》、《英语沙龙》、《中国日报——21世纪报》、《英语周报》、《英语辅导》等发表论文、译文60篇;山东青年书法家协会会员,作品多次发表获奖,为美、新、港等地友人所珍藏;发表诗作、游记以及史学论文等150篇(首)。为人热情幽默,兴趣广泛。)
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水
快速回复
限100 字节

上一个 下一个