[英语]幽默解毒尴尬(上) [复制链接]

上一主题 下一主题
离线mumu

发帖
啄木币
鲜花
只看楼主 倒序阅读 使用道具 0楼 发表于: 2007-11-04
时间: 2007年03月07日 09:07    作者:艾临    来源:新东方专稿

人生是条单行线,生活不能彩排。遭遇尴尬或造成尴尬的情况都是难免的,甚至是“司空见惯浑闲事”。尴尬往往具有突发性,令人猝不及防,搞不好叫你狼狈不堪,以至于“断尽江南刺使肠”。如何应对尴尬是一门不小的学问,有着应用性和实践性,反应出一个人的修养、机敏和智慧。如果对方是故意给下你面子,那必定是蓄谋已久的,在力量对比的场合上对你都是不利的。你如果正面反击,多半吃亏,自然不是明智之举。你不妨将计就计,借坡骑驴,顺势把对方闪在坑;你也可以假痴不颠,绵里藏针,使射来的毒箭在近身之前就改变它的方向。自己处变不惊,履险如夷,永葆金刚不坏身。

下面的幽默小品英汉对照,双语共进,没准儿您会有一种相见恨晚的感觉。
A  Rooster  (公鸡)
A  cock  and  a  clock  compared  so  as  to  see  who  wast(=was)  superior (优越的)  in  giving  the correct  time.  The  clock  said: “I  adopted  the  latest  advanced  technology , my  mean (平均的) error  in  a  year  is  less  than  one  second.  Can  you  accomplish  so?” After a  pregnant(怀孕的,意味深长的 ) pause, the  rooster(AE=cock)  said: “ Even  if  you  may  be  accurate  once  in  a  while, but  can  you  be  cooked  into  soup? ”
公鸡和钟表在比谁报时更准。钟表说:“我采取的是最先进的技术,一年的误差还不到一秒,你行吗?”公鸡沉默良久,说:“就算你偶尔会稍微准一点,可你能熬成汤喝吗?”
A  Bare  Encounter (赤诚相间)
At the last phase  of  World  War  Ⅱ, Roosevelt  had  reflected to set  up United Nations to replace League of Nations (国际联盟) existing in name only . Churchill  perceived(察觉,看出)  it  but  didn’t  figure  out  his actual arrangement .One  day Churchill  was taking a shower in the White House, while  Roosevelt entered  the  room  unintentionally. Facing this world-level embarrassed situation , Churchill  grasped  at  the  opportunity  to  punned  on  a  word(一语双关):" Sir President, you see I  don’t  conceal  anything  from  you  anyway."

二战末期,罗斯福考虑用联合国来取代名存实亡的国际联盟。邱吉尔觉察到了这一点,但猜不出罗斯福的实际安排。一天,邱吉尔正在白宫洗澡,罗斯福无意也进去了,面对这一世界级的尴尬局面,邱吉尔借机一语双关地说:“总统阁下,你看我对您可是什么也没有隐瞒呀。”
A  Peddler of Selling Earthen Basins (卖瓦盆的小贩)
A  peddler sold  earthen  basins in the wayside, he  chanted  as knocked :"Earthen  basin  is round, beautiful  and  solid, judging  by  the  sound, they  are  all  good." At  the  time  of  his  knocking, that  earthen basin  was  broken  into  pieces  with  a  crack(爆裂声) . Lookers-on  burst  into  the  roars  of  laughter. He  threw the fragments(碎片,残片) without extra trouble into paddy(稻谷,稻田) field, but  an experienced  peasant from  the crowd did not  let  him  off(放过,不惩罚)  easily:" How  the  deuce (强式特指问句) can you throw them into  my  field? They’ll impede (妨碍)my growing  crops!" The  peddler who sold  earthen basins  tried  to explain  it  away promptly:" Nothing, the fragments  will  be  converted  into  powder  as  soon  as  they  absorbed  water ."

一个小贩在路边卖瓦盆,他一边敲一边唱:“瓦盆圆又圆,结实又好看,光听这声音,就知不一般。”敲着敲着,“啪啦”一声,把盆敲烂了。围观的人一阵哄笑。他顺手把碎片扔进了稻田里,谁知人群中一个老农不干了:“你怎么能往我地里扔?这不影响我种田吗?” 卖瓦盆的小贩连忙辩解:“不要紧,瓦片见水一会儿就粉了。”
Because  Of  Age  (因为年龄)
An old  man  meets by chance a hot female movie star, seeing her low-cut  attire(衣着,盛装)  without  tape, asks curiously:" Can this clothes drop down?" "It  can't ."" Why  not?" The old man still asks.
" Because  of  your age."  The  screen star says  mysteriously.

一老者邂逅一当红女影星,见她穿着低领无带露装,就好奇的问:“这衣服会不会掉下来?” “不会的。”“为什么呢?”老者还问。
“因为你的年龄。”女明星神秘兮兮地说。
  Beer  Dyes  Hair  (啤酒染发)
General  Eisenhower attended to the  victory meeting. A waitress was  only  too(=very) nervous  to  spill a glass of beer on the head of  Eisenhower unexpectedly, then  high-ranking  military  officers  there burst  into  an  uproar(喧嚣,骚动). General Eisenhower  with  grey  temples(太阳穴) shrugged to say:" Miss, would you want to dye  my hair with  beer?

艾森豪威尔将军参加一次庆功会,一位女服务生过于紧张,竟把一杯啤酒洒在了艾森豪威尔将军的头上,众将领一片哗然。两鬓挂霜的艾森豪威尔将军耸了耸肩说:“小姐,你想用啤酒给我染发吗?
Bernard  Shaw  Presents  Again  (萧伯纳再赠)

Bernard  Shaw  detected  his play  that  had  been presented  to one  of  his  friends in  a  stall(书摊,货摊)  of "Sell Cheap". On the title page(扉页,地点状语倒装表示强调)  was  still written  “Bernard  Shaw  Present”, then  he bought it right away. After  writing" George Bernard  Shaw  Presents again" , he sent this book again to that friend.

萧伯纳在“廉价处理”的地摊上,发现了他曾赠给朋友的自己的一个剧本,扉页上还有他的题赠字样。他当即把它买下,续上“乔治. 萧伯纳再次敬赠”后,把这本书又寄给了给了那位朋友。
  Candidates  (候选人)
The pastor evangelized  while  someone fell  asleep,  so  the pastor was  determined to teach him  a  lesson. The pastor whispered :" All  who want to  heaven, please  rise." Everyone  got  up  except  the  snorer(打鼾者). After  whispering “  Be  seated ”, the pastor  came  out:" Who want go to hell  stand  up." Awaking  with a start, the sleepyhead  jumped  to  his  feet. Seeing the pastor standing  tall  on  pulpit(布道坛) , he said: "I  do not know what  we’re  voting  on , but  it  looks  like  you  and  me  are  only candidates  for  it.”

牧师布道有人在睡觉,牧师决定教训一下他。牧师低声说:“想去天堂的人站起来。”除打瞌睡的人外,大家都站了起来。说过请坐之后,牧师大声说:“想下地狱的站起来。”被这一喊叫所惊醒,打瞌睡的人站了起来。见牧师站在教坛上,他说:“不知道我们在选举什么,看来你和我是仅有的候选人。”
Can  Survive  (死不了)
During  Tang Dynasty  a  big  feudal bureaucrat (官僚) Fang-xuanling was critically ill, the associates(同事,朋友) intended to call him on .Pei-xuanben  played  a  joke  on  him saying:" If he  will  be  pulled  through(使度过危险或危机)  crisis,  it  worth(接动名词)  paying  a  visit; If  not ,  what’s  the  good  doing  it ?"His words spread quickly to the ear of  Fang-xuanling.Afterwards, Pei , along  with  other  colleagues ,still called on  Fang . Fang  became  delirious(非常激动的,特别愉快的)  with  joy, saying:” Since  Pei  Langzhong ( an  ancient  official  title ) also comes to see me, it  seems I  can survive .”

唐代的房玄龄病危,同僚拟前去看望。有个叫裴玄本的说:“如他的病好了,去还值;如好不了,去他干啥?”这话很快传到了房的耳朵里。后来,裴还是随大伙看望了房。房一下子高兴起来,说:“裴郎中也来看我,看来我死不了啦。”
Calling  the  Roll  (点名)
Giving  the  first  class  for  freshmen, I  called  the  roll  as  a  rule.  A rare  name  caught  me  during  the  process . “禚牮”。I  skipped  it    by  instinct (本能地) and  inquired  the  class  in  the  wake  of  finishing  calling  the  roll : “Is  there  anybody  else  no  name  in  the  list?” “Yes.”  A  student  stood  up. “  What’s your name?” “Zhuojian  (transliteration:音译)”  I said  calmly: “ I  know,  sit  down. ”  My  God! I’m  afraid  that  I  never  forget  his  name. 

给新生上第一次课,我照例要点一下名。点着点着,一个极为罕见的名字冒了出来:“禚牮!”我本能地跳了过去。等点完了名,我问:“有没点到的没有?” “有。”一位同学站了起来。“你叫什么名字?”“禚牮(音:灼见)。”我说:“知道了,你请坐。”天啊,恐怕我下辈子都忘不了这两个字。
Clever  As  A  Child  (小时聪明)
Kong Rong  showed  remarkable  cleverness  when at  six years old(无动词从句). Not a few people could  not  refrain  from  admiring  him. Nevertheless,  a  senior  official in  feudal(封建的)  China(大夫)whose  surname  was  Chen commented: “Clever as  a  child  is, he  will mostly grows mediocre(平庸的,普通的)  when    an  adult.”  Kong  Rong  sailed  with  the  wind  and  said: " Your  Excellency (阁下,敬辞) was certainly very  clever  as  a  child."   

孔融六岁时就显出过人的聪明,不少人禁不住夸他几句。有个姓陈的大夫却说:“小时聪明,往往大时了了。”孔融接过话说:“大人小时一定非常聪明。”
" Cheated"  Boundless Transient  Travelers(“骗”了无涯过客)
Bergmoletz developed the longevity theory, sc. ,  the person's nature lifespan is 150 years. He therefore was  awarded(授予) Stalin's medal, and became an  academician(院士)of Academy of Sciences (科学院). But he  only  lived  to  the  age  of 64  when he died in 1946.Stalin commented  after knowing:" This guy cheated  us all."

博戈莫列茨发展了长寿理论,即人的自然年龄可活到150岁。他因此获得斯大林奖章,并成为科学院院士。而他1946年去世时,年仅64岁。斯大林知道后说:“这家伙把大家都骗了。”
Conan  Doyle  Returns  Manuscript(柯南道尔退稿)
An editor received a letter from an  author, it  read  as  follows:" Sir, you sent back  my novel  contribution  last  Sunday, but you did not  finish reading  it. Because I intentionally glued several pages  together, you returned  my  contribution was still pasted together,  thus  it  proved you has been duping(欺骗,哄骗) the  contributors, and you are a culture swindler(骗子)."
The  editor  wrote  in  reply :" There  is a fried egg  in the  case  of  your breakfast . Assuming  you  have already known  the  egg  had  gone bad,  it  is unnecessary  to eat it up." The very person was the  coming author of  the  Stories  of  Sherlock  Holmes — Arthur  Conan Doyle.

一个编辑收到一封作者的来信,信中说:“先生,星期天你退回了我的一篇小说,可你根本就没有读完。因为我故意几页稿子粘在一起,你退给我时它们仍粘在一起。由此可见,你一直在糊弄作者,你是个文化骗子。”
编辑回信说:“早餐时,有一份煎鸡蛋,如果知道它已经坏了,大可不必把它吃完。”此人就是后来《福尔摩斯探案》的作者阿瑟..柯南道尔。
Disorder  (颠倒)
Wife: Did  you  remember  what  I  told  you  that  you  could  drink  two  liters  of  beer  to  the  most (最多) and  should  go  home  no  later  than  ten  o’clock ? 
Husband: I  have  bad  memory  to  disorder  them.

妻子:我不是告诉你最多只能喝两升啤酒,最晚不能超过十点就回家吗?
丈夫:我记性差,记倒了。
Double-dealer (两面派)
Lincoln  was  tall  and  lean  of  stature, with  coarse  hair  and  gray  eyes and  a  dark  complexion. Knowing  Douglass  gossiped(传播流言蜚语)  about  that he was a double-faced  fellow, Lincoln said to the audience:" Everybody see, supposing  I  had the second face,  would  I  still keep this face?"

林肯身材瘦高,皮肤黝黑,头发粗糙,眼睛灰暗。得知道格拉斯说他是两面派,林肯对听众说:“大家看,我要是有第二张脸,我还会要这张脸吗?”
Dinner  Hour (吃饭的时候)
" Mummy, how  is  father's hair so  sparse(稀疏的)?"
" Because  he uses the brain excessively."
" How  is  your hair so dense?"
" Eat your yummy(美味的)dumpling(汤团,水果布丁,胖墩,水饺) quickly,  darling." 

“妈妈,怎么爸爸的头发那么稀少?”
“那是用脑过度。”
“怎么你的头发那么稠密?”
“快吃你好吃的饺子吧,宝贝儿。”
Diplomatic  Parlance  (外交辞令)
An European diplomat asks  an envoy  of Africa:" The death rate in  your country might be very high?" The envoy of Africa  replies:" As  the  same as  that  of  your country, sc. , everybody dies only once."
A big country’s diplomat asks a small country’s emissary(使者): "Have not you said that you one can cope with (对付,处理) one  hundred?  How  do  you  come to sue(请求,控告) for peace?" The  small country’s emissary replies: "Our  country is too small  to  accommodate(提供住宿,迁就)  so many  P.O.W.s (captives)  of  your  country."

一个欧洲外交官问一非洲国家的使者:“贵国的死亡率是很高的吧?”非洲使者答:“和贵国一样,即,每人只死一次。”
一个大国外交官问一个小国使者:“你不是说你们以一可以顶百吗?怎么前来求和了呢?”小国使者答:“我们国家太小,怕盛不下你们那么多俘虏。”
Didn’t  See  You  (没看见你)
Sucre  rides the motorcycle and  arrives at the crossroads(十字路口), just with  red light  on..  Seeing no car passing, he  dashes by(冲过去) . Unfortunately , he is caught up  by  a  policeman who rides a motorcycle .The policeman asks:" Did not you  see the red light?"" Yes, I  did , it  was an  only  pity  that  I did not see you." Says  Sucre.

苏克雷骑摩托来到十字路口,正赶上红灯,他左右一看没车,便冲了过去。谁知被一个骑摩托车的警察追上。警察问:“你没看见红灯吗?”“不,看见了,遗憾的只是没有看见你。”苏克雷说。
Dickens In  Angling  (狄更斯钓鱼)
When  Dickens  was  fishing  beside  a  pond, a stranger came over to ask:" Did  you  catch the fish?" Dickens  said:" I  caught three red  trouts(鳟鱼)  yesterday ."The stranger asked:" Do you know who I am? I am a managing person here, hand over fine money 30 pound,  please." Dickens asked  him the counter-question: "And  do you know who I am?" The stranger said:" Do not know." Dickens told  him occupying the vantage(优势,有利) ground:" I am a writer, fabrication(虚构,伪造)  is my occupation."

狄更斯正在池塘边钓鱼,一个陌生人过来问:“钓到鱼了吗?”狄更斯说:“昨天钓了三条红鳟鱼。”陌生人问:“你知道我是谁吗?我是这里的管理员,请交罚款30镑。”狄更斯反问他:“你知道我是谁吗?”陌生人说:“不知道。”狄更斯居高临下地说:“我是作家,虚构是我的职业。”
Encountering  Pushkins (遭遇普希金)
At  a duke (公爵)family  party  in Peterburg(彼得堡) , a  Russia  juvenile (少年,法律词汇) wanted  to  dance  a  dance(同源宾语)  with  a  noble  young  lady, but that  lady refused  him disdainfully: “ I  hate  dancing  with  a  child.” The  juvenile  saved  his  face  swiftly,  saying: “ I  don’t  know you  are  with    child(怀有孩子).” This  was  no  other  than(强式判断句) Pushkins , romantic great  poet  afterward.
在彼得堡一位公爵的家庭舞会上,有一位俄罗斯少年想请一个漂亮的贵族小姐跳舞,女方不屑地说:“我不带小孩跳舞。”少年敏捷挽回了面子,说:“我不知道你怀有孩子了。”此人后来就是风流倜傥的大诗人普希金。 
Funds  (经费)
A  general  manager’s  wife  secretary  is sitting on  his legs  when  his wife comes to look  for  him. The  prestigious (有声望的) general  manager looks  outraged(伤害,引起……义愤)and  says  in  a  top  voice: “I’m  bound  to  solve the  problem  of  chairs  of  our  company  for  love  or  money(无论如何) despite  the  lack  of  outlay(经费).”

总经理的夫人来找时,女秘书正坐在他的腿上。这个“有声望的” 总经理非常生气,高声说:“经费再不足,我们公司无论如何也要解决椅子问题。” (编辑:赵露)
(本文作者艾临,英语副教授。出版著作《每天幽它一默》、《七彩幽默背单词》,在《中国成人教育》、《山东外语教学》、《英语沙龙》、《中国日报——21世纪报》、《英语周报》、《英语辅导》等发表论文、译文60篇;山东青年书法家协会会员,作品多次发表获奖,为美、新、港等地友人所珍藏;发表诗作、游记以及史学论文等150篇(首)。为人热情幽默,兴趣广泛。)
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水
离线mumu
发帖
啄木币
鲜花